- Academic Webinar: Climate Compensation and CooperationFASKIANOS: Thank you, and welcome to today’s session of the Winter/Spring 2023 CFR Academic Webinar series. I’m Irina Faskianos, vice president of the National Program and Outreach at CFR. Today’s discussion is on the record and the video and transcript will be available on our website CFR.org/Academic if you would like to share it with […]
- DC Book Launch: The Bill of Obligations by Richard HaassCFR President Richard Haass discusses his new book, The Bill of Obligations: The Ten Habits of Good Citizens, with Mary Louise Kelly. In The Bill of Obligations, Richard Haass argues that the very idea of citizenship must be revised and expanded. Haass introduces ten obligations that are essential for healing our divisions and safeguarding the […]
- NY Book Launch: The Bill of Obligations by Richard HaassCFR President Richard Haass discusses his new book, The Bill of Obligations: The Ten Habits of Good Citizens, with Juju Chang. In The Bill of Obligations, Richard Haass argues that the very idea of citizenship must be revised and expanded. Haass introduces ten obligations that are essential for healing our divisions and safeguarding the country’s […]
- Higher Education Webinar: Disability Inclusion on Campus and in International AffairsAshley Holben, interim manager and project specialist with the National Clearinghouse on Disability and Exchange and executive specialist to the chief executive officer at Mobility International USA, leads the conversation on disability inclusion on campus and in international affairs. FASKIANOS: Welcome to CFR’s Higher Education Webinar Series. I’m Irina Faskianos, vice president of the National […]
- Social Justice Webinar: U.S. Immigration and Repatriation
- Academic Webinar: Global Ramifications of the War in UkraineLiana Fix, fellow for Europe at CFR, leads the conversation on the global ramifications of the war in Ukraine. FASKIANOS: Thank you. Welcome to the first session of the Winter/Spring 2023 CFR Academic Webinar Series. I’m Irina Faskianos, vice president of the National Program and Outreach at CFR. Today’s discussion is on the record and […]
- Religion and Foreign Policy Webinar: The Protests in Iran
- A Conversation With U.S. Air Force Secretary Frank KendallSecretary of the U.S. Air Force Frank Kendall discusses U.S. security alliances and partnerships, U.S. defense industrial base capacity, and the modernization, priorities, and strengths of the Department of the Air Force.
- What to Worry About in 2023Panelists discuss potential and ongoing crises that may erupt or escalate in 2023, as well as their global political implications. This event will explore the results of the CFR 2023 Preventive Priorities Survey.
- Virtual Roundtable: Clearing the Air on Air PollutionAir pollution is a major contributor to illness and early death worldwide. Substantial progress has been made to reduce air pollution, but what more needs to be done? Participants discuss the status, sources, and health effects of air pollution in various global contexts.
World Trade Center
World Trade Center
The new World Trade Center is a sprawling 16 acre mixed-used environment composed of 5 iconic office towers… an 8-acre Memorial Plaza… and over half a million square feet of shopping and dining. The Transportation Hub makes it one of the most convenient places to access in the city.
The site is bounded by Vesey Street to the north, the West Side Highway to the west, Liberty Street to the south, and Church street to the east.
- Members address development dimension of WTO reform agendaWTO members met on 2-3 February for focused discussions on the development dimension of the WTO’s reform agenda. The informal General Council meeting on WTO reform offered members an opportunity to kickstart an exchange on cross-cutting aspects of the development dimension with a view to finding mutually acceptable ways forward.
- Eleventh China Round Table marks Lao’s 10th WTO accession anniversaryA high-level event held on 2 February as part of the 11th China Round Table on Accessions celebrated the 10th anniversary of Lao People’s Democratic Republic joining the WTO. Participants commended Lao PDR’s active participation in the WTO. A study entitled “Lao PDR: a Retrospective on 10 Years of WTO Membership” provided the backdrop for […]
- Investment facilitation talks intensify to conclude draft agreement in first half of 2023WTO members participating in the negotiations on investment facilitation for development (IFD) agreed on an intensive schedule of meetings over the coming months, with the objective of finalizing the negotiating text by mid-2023. Talks are based on the Draft IFD Agreement reached in December 2022. At a meeting on 1 February, delegations stressed the need […]
- Exports of intermediate goods post sustained growth in second quarter of 2022World exports of intermediate goods (IGs) grew 4% year-on-year in the second quarter of 2022 to US$ 2.5 trillion, driven by the increase in shipments of intermediate food products. The overall growth, while slower than the increase recorded in the same period a year ago, continues to indicate stable activity in global supply chains.
- Least-developed countries discuss trade priorities ahead of UN Conference on LDCsOver 100 capital-based officials from more than 40 least-developed countries (LDCs) took part in two stocktaking consultations on the trade aspects of the Doha Programme of Action for LDCs at meetings held in January in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and Siem Reap, Cambodia. Deputy Director-General Xiangchen Zhang said in his opening remarks: “Trade has been one […]
- Members discuss data on fishing subsidies and ocean resources for second wave negotiationsWTO members on 31 January held a second knowledge building workshop to inform the second wave of negotiations on fisheries subsidies, focusing on data concerning the state of marine resources and on fisheries subsidies. The workshop was intended to enhance members’ ability to reach an agreed outcome by the 13th Ministerial Conference, said Deputy Director-General […]
- United States appeals panel reports regarding US duties on steel and aluminium productsThe United States notified the Dispute Settlement Body of its decision to appeal the panel reports in the cases brought by China, Norway, Switzerland and Türkiye in “United States — Certain Measures on Steel and Aluminium Products” (DS544, DS552, DS556 and DS564). The panel reports were circulated to WTO members on 9 December. The appeals […]
- DG Okonjo-Iweala welcomes the 2023 cohort of WTO Young ProfessionalsDirector-General Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala welcomed the seventh cohort of participants in the WTO Young Professionals Programme on 30 January 2023. The 17 Young Professionals from developing and least-developed country (LDC) members will spend the rest of the year in the WTO Secretariat to learn about the organization’s work and contribute to its activities.
- United States appeals panel report regarding US origin marking for Hong Kong, China goodsThe United States notified the Dispute Settlement Body of its decision to appeal the panel report in the case brought by Hong Kong, China in “United States — Origin Marking Requirement” (DS597). The panel report was circulated to WTO members on 21 December. The appeal was circulated to WTO members on 30 January.
- WTO issues call for papers for 2023 Essay Award for Young EconomistsThe WTO has issued a call for young economists to submit papers for the 2023 WTO Essay Award. The aim of the award is to promote high-quality research on trade policy and international trade cooperation and to reinforce the relationship between the WTO and the academic community. Essays must be submitted by 2 June 2023.