- Deutschland: Wirtschaftsexperten sprechen sich für eine offene Gesellschaft & die Religionsfreiheit ausDie Äußerungen von Bundesinnenminister Horst Seehofer (CSU) zum Islam sind auf breite Kritik gestoßen... „Die Behauptung, der Islam gehöre nicht zu Deutschland, ist nicht nur faktisch falsch, sondern ist auch ein zum Scheitern verurteilter Versuch der Ausgrenzung und Spaltung der Gesellschaft“, sagte der Präsident des Deutschen Instituts für Wirtschaftsforschung (DIW)... Mit seiner Aussage könne Seehofer Deutschland „nicht nur […]
- Selon un économiste, imposer les multinationales comme des sociétés uniques limiterait l'évasion fiscale et ses conséquences pour les droits sociaux et environnementaux« Taxer l'activité réelle des multinationales dans chaque pays », le 14 mars 2018 Ces dernières années, les fuites de documents comme les « Panama Papers » et les « Paradise Papers » ont dévoilé les dessous obscurs de la mondialisation et provoqué des dénonciations de l'évasion fiscale de la part de citoyens du monde […]
- France : Les livreurs à vélo se mobilisent pour obtenir des conditions de travail décentes« Ubérisation : l'immense peloton des livreurs à vélo se lance dans la course pour le respect de ses droits », le 4 septembre 2017 Ils acheminent des repas à domicile, en bicyclette, pour le compte des nouvelles applications de livraison sur smartphone...Mis en concurrence, payés à la tâche, soumis à des cadences infernales, exposés aux […]
- Qatar to pay back workers’ recruitment fees in $5m restorationBy the end of March more than 5,500 people from across South Asia, a third of the workforce, will be reimbursed money they paid to middlemen who hired them to work in [Qatar]. The Doha government is negotiating with its contractors in the hope that the rest of the construction workers, expected to reach 30,000 by […]
- Analysis shows that companies pay lower taxes than before the 2008 crisis, despite government efforts to reform the system[Subscrition required] Big multinationals are paying significantly lower tax rates than before the 2008 financial crisis, according to Financial Times analysis showing that a decade of government efforts to cut deficits and reform taxes has left the corporate world largely unscathed...Governments' cuts to their headline corporate tax rates only explain around half the overall fall, […]
- Group urges the EU to engage constructively in negotiations towards a binding treaty on business and human rights[Subscription required] "It is in the EU's interests to engage in the debate on business and human rights" 16 March 2018 ...Since 2014, a treaty on business and human rights has been discussed under the auspices of the United Nations Human Rights Council. The EU initially refused to even engage in the discussions, and then […]
- Filial de Cartón de Colombia, parte de Smurfit Kappa, espera revisión de fallo de tribunal sobre compra de tierras despojada a familia víctima del conflicto“La sentencia de restitución de tierras que perdió Cartón de Colombia” - 15 de marzo de 2018 El Tribunal de Cali falló a favor de una familia que reclamaba la restitución de 78 hectáreas en Bolívar, en Valle del Cauca. La empresa papelera expresa su desacuerdo, indicando que espera la revisión de la decisión ante […]
- Argentina: Organizaciones sociales llaman a la acción internacional contra el cambio climático y abusos de derechos humanos ante la cumbre del G20“¡Decimos NO a la Cumbre del G-20 en Argentina!” – 13 de marzo de 2018 El 30 de noviembre y 1º de diciembre 2018 se reunirán en Argentina los Jefes y Jefas de Estado de los 20 países geopolíticamente más importantes del mundo. Según indican, el objetivo es “abordar los grandes desafíos globales y buscar generar […]
- Ecuador: Protesta de mujeres indígenas amazónicas espera que el Estado cancele actividades y proyectos extractivos en sus territorios“Mujeres indígenas llevan cuatro días esperando por una reunión con el presidente de Ecuador” – 15 de marzo 2018 Alrededor de 100 mujeres indígenas permanecen desde el lunes en la puerta del palacio presidencial a la espera de una reunión con el mandatario Lenin Moreno…Las mujeres esperan entregarle personalmente al mandatario un documento de 22 […]
- América Latina: Comentario de ONG sobre los “múltiples impactos” de las empresas en los derechos humanos de la población en la audiencia de la CIDH“Empresas que vulneran Derechos Humanos, una realidad que exige respuestas obligatorias y vinculantes de los Estados” - 7 de marzo de 2018 La responsabilidad de las empresas especialmente las multinacionales y trasnacionales en la violación de los Derechos Humanos siempre se ha movido entre la denuncia y la difícil realidad de territorios y comunidades, de un lado, […]
United States Trade Representative
United States Trade Representative
Mission of the USTR
American trade policy works toward opening markets throughout the world to create new opportunities and higher living standards for families, farmers, manufacturers, workers, consumers, and businesses. The United States is party to numerous trade agreements with other countries, and is participating in negotiations for new trade agreements with a number of countries and regions of the world.
The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) is responsible for developing and coordinating U.S. international trade, commodity, and direct investment policy, and overseeing negotiations with other countries. The head of USTR is the U.S. Trade Representative, a Cabinet member who serves as the president’s principal trade advisor, negotiator, and spokesperson on trade issues.
USTR is part of the Executive Office of the President. Through an interagency structure, USTR coordinates trade policy, resolves disagreements, and frames issues for presidential decision. USTR also serves as vice chairman of the Board of Directors of the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC), is on the Board of Directors of the Millennium Challenge Corporation, is a non-voting member of the Export-Import Bank Board of Directors, and a member of the National Advisory Council on International Monetary and Financial Policies.
- DG Azevêdo in Brazil: Global Cooperation is essential to overcome economic challengesDirector-General Roberto Azevêdo wrapped up his visit to Brazil on March 15 at the World Economic Forum Latin America Summit in São Paulo, where he praised the sustained recovery of the Brazilian economy and discussed how trade and global cooperation can help countries overcome economic challenges and promote growth, development and job creation. During the […]
- DDG Yi : Inclusiveness and transparency have been the guiding principles of our workSpeaking on behalf of the Director-General at the first meeting of the Joint Statement on Electronic Commerce initiative on 14 March, Deputy Director General Xiaozhun Yi said that inclusiveness and transparency have been the guiding principles of WTO’s work and are essential in building trust amongst members. He commended the proponents of this initiative for […]
- WTO and ICC announce the selection of three more ‘Small Business Champions’ proposalsThe WTO and the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) announced on 14 March the selection of three more proposals submitted under the ICC-WTO Small Business Champions initiative. The proposals were put forward by the Institute of Export and International Trade (UK), eBay (US), and the National Confederation of Industry (Brazil). The proposed activities, including a […]
- 10th WTO-WIPO advanced course on intellectual property for policymakers opens in GenevaA two-week Advanced Course on Intellectual Property for Government Officials, jointly organized by the WTO and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), opened in Geneva on 12 March 2018. The training aims to enhance the capacity of developing country governments to develop and implement national expertise in intellectual property (IP) matters.
- WTO event highlights role of trade in delivering opportunities for womenTrade can help accelerate the economic empowerment of women, speakers at a high-level event held at the WTO said on the occasion of International Women’s Day (8 March). However, more must be done to increase women’s participation and unlock trade’s potential to deliver a more inclusive society, they said.
- IWD 2018 : WTO International Women’s Day — Delivering Opportunities For Women
- Chile Launches Safeguard investigation on powdered milk and Gouda cheeseOn 8 March 2018, Chile notified the WTO’s Committee on Safeguards that it initiated on 8 March 2018 a safeguard investigation on powdered milk and Gouda cheese.
- Summary of General Council meeting of 7 March 2018
- DDG Wolff: “There is a clear path toward solid achievement”In a speech delivered to the US Chamber of Commerce in Washington on 7 March, Deputy Director-General Alan Wolff said the outcome of the 11th Ministerial Conference in Buenos Aires provides a “broad path forward to improve the world trading system” and that the importance of the WTO is “directly related to the investment from […]
- General Council chair: transparency and inclusivity important to build trustRemarks by Ambassador Xavier Carim (South Africa) at the conclusion of his final meeting as chair of the General Council
- Henry Newman: The EU cherry-picks whenever it is politically convenient. Brexit should be such a timeOpen Europe's Henry Newman writes in ConservativeHome that Theresa May's 'Road to Brexit' speech was her most successful yet and criticises the EU for accusing the UK of "cherry picking" in the Brexit negotiations as the EU does so itself when it is politically convenient.The post Henry Newman: The EU cherry-picks whenever it is politically […]
- European reactions to Theresa May’s vision for post-Brexit tradeIn her Mansion House speech on 2 March, Prime Minister Theresa May provided further detail on her vision for a post-Brexit relationship with the EU. Open Europe's Leopold Traugott takes a look at how the speech has been received on the continent.The post European reactions to Theresa May’s vision for post-Brexit trade appeared first on […]
- Open Europe responds to the Prime Minister’s Road to Brexit speechOpen Europe's Henry Newman argues that the Prime Minister has put a serious offer on the table for the future UK-EU economic partnership.The post Open Europe responds to the Prime Minister’s Road to Brexit speech appeared first on Open Europe.
- EU’s hardball tactics over Irish border issue risk pushing UK into corner in Brexit talksOpen Europe’s Stephen Booth writes that the UK Government could not possibly agree to this EU withdrawal text, which would effectively cede sovereignty over Northern Ireland to Brussels by default. The EU cannot simply disregard inconvenient political commitments agreed – by both sides – in December. Brussels now risks creating a serious political mess.The post […]
- Why would the EU agree to Labour’s customs union proposal?Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn today set out his proposals for a new post-Brexit UK-EU customs union, which allows the UK "a meaningful say" in future EU trade negotiations. Open Europe's Aarti Shankar argues that it is highly unlikely the UK could play a "meaningful" role in the future.The post Why would the EU agree to […]
- The Brexit regulation debate pits short-term disruption against future prosperityOpen Europe's Henry Newman argues if the UK doesn’t have the ability to decide its own rules in key areas, the Government will have sacrificed future prosperity to minimise short-term disruption.The post The Brexit regulation debate pits short-term disruption against future prosperity appeared first on Open Europe.
- Government must make clear what it wants in future relationship with EUFollowing the fallout from Chancellor Philip Hammond's comments that he hopes Britain’s relationship with EU will move “very modestly apart”, Open Europe's Aarti Shankar tells Sky News' All Out Politics that the government must be clearer in it's vision.The post Government must make clear what it wants in future relationship with EU appeared first on […]
- UK-France summit setting roadmap for future relationshipAhead of the 35th UK-France summit, Open Europe's Aarti Shankar tells CNBC that the meeting is not about quick resolutions, but will set the roadmap for what we can expect from the Franco-British relationship in the futureThe post UK-France summit setting roadmap for future relationship appeared first on Open Europe.
- The view from Brussels: how do think tanks in Brussels see Brexit talks unfolding in 2018?Before the New Year, we hosted an Open Europe “think tank roundtable” in Brussels, gathering think tanks, industry representatives, NGOs and other observers who are dealing with Brexit to share their analysis about the ongoing Brexit negotiations. Open Europe’s Brussels representative Pieter Cleppe presents a summary of the discussion.The post The view from Brussels: how […]
- EU regained confidence but it should not get complacentOpen Europe's Leopold Traugott tells Voice of America that even though the threat of a Brexit domino effect has decreased the EU should not get complacent with the migration crisis and the instability of the eurozone.The post EU regained confidence but it should not get complacent appeared first on Open Europe.