- América Latina: Informe demuestra los impactos del arbitraje internacional por empresas mineras"Casino del extractivismo: Las empresas mineras apuestan con la vida y la soberanía de Amércia Latina usando el arbitraje supranacional", abril 2019 …Este informe examina la manera en que empresas mineras interponen demandas multimillonarias en contra de países de América Latina cuando sus cortes toman decisiones, y cuando implementan políticas públicas o medidas gubernamentales particularmente […]
- Cambodia: The Ministry of Women’s Affairs acknowledges the vulnerability of domestic workers and the need of social protection services for them"Ministry supports domestic workers", 17 June 2019 The Women’s Affairs Ministry ... highlighted the plight of domestic workers, noting that they are vulnerable and are in need of social protection services. More than 250 domestic workers, government officials and members of civil society gathered ... to mark International Domestic Worker’s Day. Soth Sithon, director of […]
- Sixth edition of ITUC Global Rights Index highlights intensified repression & violence against workersThe 2019 Global Rights Index saw the use of extreme violence against the defenders of workplace rights, large-scale arrests and detentions... The sixth edition of the ITUC Global Rights Index ranks 145 countries on the degree of respect for workers’ rights. Six-year trend data analysed...exposes the systematic attempts to undermine freedom and democracy. The ongoing […]
- Brasil: Comissão de Direitos Humanos e Minorias (CDHM) da Câmara dos Deputados promoveu audiência pública para debater situação de defensores e defensoras de Direitos Humanos no país“‘Nesse momento devemos dizer que somos todos protetores e protetoras de direitos humanos’, afirma PFDC em audiência pública”, 13 de junho de 2019 A crescente criminalização dos movimentos sociais mobilizou parlamentares, representantes de organizações da sociedade civil e do governo – além da procuradora federal dos Direitos do Cidadão, Deborah Duprat – a colocar […]
- USA: Ex-vice president sues WeWork for alleged age discriminationA former vice president at WeWork Cos. sued the co-working giant this week, alleging the company hired a younger man to take over his responsibilities and terminated him when he complained. Richard Markel, 62, claimed the New York-based company discriminated against him based on his age after hiring him last year to be the vice president […]
- Brazil: Head of indigenous affairs fired in apparent bid to open up the Amazon to agribusiness and mining“Brazil indigenous affairs head fired amid push to develop Amazon”, 12th June 2019 …The head of Brazil's indigenous affairs agency said he was fired after being pressured as President Jair Bolsonaro pushes to open up reservation lands to commercial activity. Franklimberg Ribeiro de Freitas, head of the National Indigenous Affairs agency (FUNAI), was removed from […]
- México: Se propone la elaboración de protocolos para prevenir la discriminación y el acoso hacía las mujeres trabajadoras“Proponen elaboración de protocolos contra acoso y hostigamiento sexual en el trabajo”, 11 de junio de 2019 …La diputada federal por el Partido Encuentro Social…Olga Patricia Sosa Ruiz, propuso que la Secretaría de Trabajo y Previsión Social…y el Instituto Nacional de las Mujeres…ayuden a elaborar e implementar protocolos para prevenir la discriminación y el acoso […]
- Global: Guía resalta cuatro pasos para combatir el acoso sexual y laboral“Cómo combatir el acoso sexual y laboral en cuatro pasos”, 13 de junio de 2019 …Cuatro son las recomendaciones que CCOO de Industria recoge en el documento que acaba de distribuir entre sus representantes en los centros de trabajo…Primero, propone utilizar todos los medios disponibles para detener el acoso, tanto sexual como laboral. Para conseguirlo, […]
- USA: California regulators files action to demand Riot Games to reveal employee pay data for investigation of gender pay discrimination"California reveals it’s investigating gender-discrimination claims at Riot Games", 13 Jun 2019 The scrutiny of Riot Games Inc. over allegations of gender discrimination and sexual harassment at the “League of Legends” video-game maker grew wider Wednesday: California regulators revealed they’re investigating the matter as well. The state Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the agency […]
- Nicaragua: Comunidades indígenas pide que se anule la concesión canalera que pretende administrar 263km cuadrados de sus territorios“Indígenas también piden derogación de concesión canalera”, 17 de junio de 2019 …El contrato que el Centro de Atención Legal a Pueblos Indígenas pide se anule es el control y administración sobre 263 kilómetros cuadrados de territorios de los pueblos indígenas y afrodescendientes a la empresa HKND…Los 263 kilómetros cuadrados corresponden al 52 % de la ruta […]
The Association of German Chambers of Commerce and Industry
The Association of German Chambers of Commerce and Industry
The Association of German Chambers of Commerce and Industry (Deutscher Industrie- und Handelskammertag, DIHK) is the central organisation for 79 Chambers of Commerce and Industry, CCI (Industrie- und Handelskammern, IHKs) in Germany. All German companies registered in Germany, with the exception of handicraft businesses, the free professions and farms, are required by law to join a chamber.
Thus, the DIHK speaks for more than three million entrepreneurs. They include not only big companies but also retailers and innkeepers. This gives the association considerable political influence. It does not represent any specific corporate group but all commercial enterprises in Germany.
- Items proposed for consideration at the next meeting of Dispute Settlement BodyThe WTO Secretariat has circulated a meeting notice and list of items proposed for the next meeting, on 24 June 2019, of the Dispute Settlement Body, which consists of all WTO members and oversees legal disputes among them. The meeting notice is circulated in the form of a document officially called an “airgram”.
- 16th WTO-WIPO colloquium for intellectual property teachers opens in GenevaA two-week colloquium for teachers of intellectual property (IP), jointly organized by the WTO and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), opened in Geneva on 17 June 2019. The event aims at helping teachers from developing countries and economies in transition to become more aware of the Geneva institutions, negotiations and other activities concerning intellectual […]
- Advanced Trade Policy Course gets under way in GenevaThirty participants are attending the two-month Advanced Trade Policy Course in French from 3 June to 26 July 2019 at the WTO headquarters in Geneva. The course was opened by H.E. Mr Didier Chambovey, Switzerland’s Permanent Representative to the WTO, and Mr Claude Trolliet of the WTO’s Institute for Training and Technical Cooperation.
- Indonesia launches safeguard investigation on evaporatorsOn 13 June 2019, Indonesia notified the WTO’s Committee on Safeguards that it initiated on 12 June 2019 a safeguard investigation on evaporators.
- Regional Trade Policy Course takes place at the University of MauritiusThirty participants are taking part in a Regional Trade Policy Course at the University of Mauritius, a member of the WTO’s Chairs Programme. The course began on 29 April 2019 and will end on 21 June 2019.
- DDG Wolff: Trading system must reflect the needs of those engaged in international commerceSpeaking at the 11th World Chambers Congress in Rio de Janeiro on 12 June 2019, Deputy Director-General Alan Wolff called on international chambers of commerce to press their governments “to exert themselves to maintain and improve the multilateral trading system”. He added: “Without your energy and tenacity, you may not only lose the chance for […]
- DG Azevêdo welcomes Jamaica’s Prime Minister Andrew Holness to the WTODirector-General Roberto Azevêdo welcomed Prime Minister Andrew Holness of Jamaica to the WTO on 12 June to discuss Jamaica’s views regarding the development dimension of the WTO’s work and preserving the achievements of the multilateral trading system.
- DG Azevêdo welcomes His Majesty King Mswati III of Eswatini to the WTODirector-General Roberto Azevêdo welcomed His Majesty King Mswati III of Eswatini to the WTO on 12 June. The two discussed Eswatini’s recent initiatives on trade as well as the importance of the multilateral trading system as an engine for development.
- Trade Policy Review: CanadaThe eleventh review of the trade policies and practices of Canada takes place on 12 and 14 June 2019. The basis for the review is a report by the WTO Secretariat and a report by the Government of Canada.
- DG Azevêdo welcomes President Salome Zourabichvili of Georgia to the WTODirector-General Roberto Azevêdo welcomed President Salome Zourabichvili of Georgia to the WTO on 11 June. The two met and exchanged views on Georgia’s participation in the WTO and its support for the multilateral trading system.
- The selection of top EU jobs explainedFollowing last week's European elections, Open Europe’s Zoe Alipranti explains the path that lies ahead for the selection of top EU jobs.The post The selection of top EU jobs explained appeared first on Open Europe.
- Will the next Prime Minister face similar Brexit problems?In the wake of Theresa May's resignation announcement, Open Europe's Dominic Walsh discusses the next steps on Brexit in an interview with Al-Jazeera English.The post Will the next Prime Minister face similar Brexit problems? appeared first on Open Europe.
- How will the UK’s participation in the European Parliament elections affect the EU?The UK’s unexpected participation in the European Parliament elections has already had a significant impact on domestic politics. However, as Open Europe’s Dominic Walsh points out, the election of British MEPs will also have consequences for the EU. The post How will the UK’s participation in the European Parliament elections affect the EU? appeared first […]
- Open Europe’s Pieter Cleppe discusses level playing field provisions after BrexitOpen Europe's Pieter Cleppe gave evidence to the House of Commons Exiting the EU select committee on 15 May. Below is a brief summary of the session.The post Open Europe’s Pieter Cleppe discusses level playing field provisions after Brexit appeared first on Open Europe.
- How did the Brexit process unfold?Open Europe's Dominic Walsh features in Global News Canada's explainer of the Brexit process.The post How did the Brexit process unfold? appeared first on Open Europe.
- Even after the extension, Brexit options remain the sameOpen Europe's David Shiels discusses Brexit developments on RTE News Prime Time programme on 11 April.The post Even after the extension, Brexit options remain the same appeared first on Open Europe.
- European press reacts to ‘Halloween Brexit’After the emergency European Council agreed on a 'flexible' Article 50 extension until 31 October, Open Europe reviews European press reactions to yet another Brexit delay.The post European press reacts to ‘Halloween Brexit’ appeared first on Open Europe.
- New Open Europe poll on forthcoming European Parliamentary electionsA new Open Europe poll conducted by Hanbury Strategy reveals current voting intentions for the 2019 European Parliamentary elections.The post New Open Europe poll on forthcoming European Parliamentary elections appeared first on Open Europe.
- Is Theresa May moving towards a softer Brexit?Appearing on Sky News on 3 April, Open Europe's Stephen Booth discusses Theresa May's plan to hold talks with Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn on Brexit.The post Is Theresa May moving towards a softer Brexit? appeared first on Open Europe.
- Indicative Votes II: the options explainedMPs will today partake in a second round of ‘indicative votes’ on various Brexit options. Open Europe’s Dominic Walsh explains the motions tabled by MPs and assesses their negotiability with the EU.The post Indicative Votes II: the options explained appeared first on Open Europe.