- Actualización Semanal: Corte falla contra Chevron en Ecuador | Respuesta de Cementos Progreso en Guatemala | Asesinatos en Colombia | Otras noticiasAcá están las principales noticias sobre empresas y derechos humanos de esta semana. Se incluyen respuestas de empresas y anuncios relevantes. Lea la Actualización completa Archivo de Actualizaciones Semanales anteriores Suscripción a las Actualizaciones
- USA: Ex-employee files lawsuit against chemical co. alleging hostile work environment led to anxiety & forced him to retire"Former Dow Chemical employee alleges hostile working environment forced him to retire", 17 Jul 2018 An Angleton man alleges a hostile work environment at a Freeport facility forced him to retire. Jeffery Henry filed a complaint on July 2 in the Houston Division of the Southern District of Texas against Dow Chemical Co. alleging that […]
- Google introduces 'AI principles' that prohibit its use in weapons & human rights abuses"Google's new 'AI principlies' forbid its use in weapons and human rights violations", June 7 2018 Google has published a set of (...) “AI principles” explaining the ways it will and won’t deploy its considerable clout in the domain. “These are not theoretical concepts; they are concrete standards that will actively govern our research and product development and […]
- Brasil: Ministério Público Federal exige esclarecimentos sobre assédio de mineradores a indígenas na Terra Indígena do Alto Rio Negro"MPF exige esclarecimentos sobre assédio de mineradores na Terra Indígena do Alto Rio Negro", 16 de Julho de 2018No Rio Ayari,...fronteira do Brasil com a Colômbia, na Terra Indígena (TI) Alto Rio Negro, indígenas Baniwa e Koripaco vem denunciando a entrada de empresários ligados aos interesses minerários, assim como de funcionários do Serviço Geológico do […]
- Export Development Canada invites stakeholders to reflect on co.'s Environmental & Social Risk Management policies"Review of EDC's Environmental and Social Risk Management Policies", 18 July 2018 EDC is inviting stakeholders from across the Canadian trade and business ecosystems to offer input and constructive feedback on the following Environmental and Social Risk Management policies as part of the CSR framework at EDC. These policies include: 1.Environmental and Social Risk Management […]
- Weekly Update - 18 July: Obama's speech for Mandela's centenary highlights geopolitical link to #bizhumanrightsOur run down of this week's top stories and breaking news about business & human rights. Includes company responses, the latest jobs; and events announcements. READ THE FULL UPDATE Archive of past Weekly Updates since 2005 Weekly update sign-up
- Nicaragua: Las principales marcas demandaron al gobierno que respete el estado de derecho y garantice la libertad de reunión y expresión"Marcas internacionales solicitan a Ortega que respete el Estado de Derecho", 30 Junio 2018 Las principales marcas de indumentarias y asociaciones industriales que tienen relación de producción con las Zonas Francas del país, demandaron al Gobierno del presidente Daniel Ortega que respete el Estado de derecho, realice un cese a la represión, y garantice la […]
- Forum Mondial Convergences : « [Faire] Société, [Faire] Demain »Le Global Compact France interviendra autour de l'ODD numéro 8 " Travail décent et croissance économique" lors de regards croisés le mardi 4 septembre 2018 de 9h30 à 11h lors d'une session intitulée "L'accompagnement de la chaîne de valeurs : faire le pont entre exigences éthiques et économiques" 1. Quelles sont les actions menées dans […]
- Session #5 : Académie Global CompactL'Académie du Global Compact est l'une des nouvelles activités proposées par le Global Compact des Nations unies, dans le cadre de sa stratégie 2020.La cinquième session est ouverte à tous et prendra place le 24 juillet 2018 à 16h, en présence de : Ms. Heidi Huusko, Senior Manager, UN Global Compact Dr. Nate Aden, Senior […]
- Union calls on Marriott to negotiate measures to combat sexual harassmentOn 30 May the IUF made global demands on Marriott regarding sexual harassment. Specifically they called on Marriott to negotiate of measures to: prevent or discourage sexual harassment, measures to respond to incidents of sexual harassment immediately, and measures to ensure that workers who have experienced incidents of sexual harassment are encouraged to come forward […]
Second Referendum is our only hope
The Election failed to show us any way forward.We are now in a worse situation.
We have to reconsider our situation and ask the public to reconsider their situation NOW before we negotiate with the EU
We need to have another referendum.
We also need to state on the voting document
If we vote out it will make us poorer.
If we vote in our economy will be better
- Items proposed for consideration at the next meeting of Dispute Settlement BodyThe WTO Secretariat has circulated a meeting notice and list of items proposed for the next meeting, on 20 July 2018, of the Dispute Settlement Body, which consists of all WTO members and oversees legal disputes among them. The meeting notice is circulated in the form of a document officially called an “airgram”.
- Trade Policy Review: IsraelThe fifth review of the trade policies and practices of Israel takes place on 17 and 19 July 2018. The basis for the review is a report by the WTO Secretariat and a report by the Government of Israel.
- DG Azevêdo receives experts’ report on future of global trade governanceWTO Director-General Roberto Azevêdo met on 17 July with representatives of the Bertelsmann Stiftung’s High-Level Board of Experts to receive their report on the Future of Global Trade Governance. The report outlines four complementary avenues that can be pursued to revitalize the WTO as a forum for trade cooperation and conflict resolution.
- Switzerland initiates WTO dispute complaint against US steel, aluminium dutiesSwitzerland has requested WTO dispute consultations with the United States regarding US duties on certain imported steel and aluminium products. The request was circulated to WTO members on 12 July.
- Trade Policy Review: ChinaThe seventh review of the trade policies and practices of China takes place on 11 and 13 July 2018. The basis for the review is a report by the WTO Secretariat and a report by the Government of China.
- Tunisia initiates WTO dispute complaint against Moroccan book dutiesTunisia has requested WTO dispute consultations with Morocco regarding anti-dumping duties levied by Morocco on imports of school exercise books originating in Tunisia.
- WTO holds workshop on SPS control, inspection and approval proceduresMore than 150 government officials attended a Workshop on Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) Control, Inspection and Approval Procedures in Geneva on 9 and 10 July 2018. The workshop provided a forum for discussions and experience-sharing on developments, challenges and practices in implementing Article 8 and Annex C of the SPS Agreement relating to these procedures.
- DDG Wolff: A “crisis can bring good results”Speaking at the Geneva Summer Programme of the American University on 6 July, Deputy Director-General Alan Wolff said greater investment was needed from WTO members, business, and non-governmental organizations to craft a better multilateral trading system. While the system is presently under severe stress, past experience has shown that a “crisis can bring good results,” […]
- Advanced Course on Trade and Environment concludes at the WTOThe fourth Advanced Course on Trade and Environment concluded on 6 July at the organization’s headquarters in Geneva. Twenty-five officials from trade and/or environment ministries representing 25 WTO members from all regions attended the course.
- WTO issues panel report regarding US duties on Canadian paperOn 5 July the WTO circulated the panel report in the case brought by Canada in “United States — Countervailing Measures on Supercalendered Paper from Canada” (DS505).
- There is no majority in the Commons for any single Brexit optionFollowing the Government's narrow victory on a crucial amendment to the Trade Bill, Open Europe's Henry Newman was on the BBC News’ Beyond 100 Days programme on 17 July to discuss the divisions over Brexit in Parliament. He appeared alongside the Spectator's political correspondent Katy Balls. The post There is no majority in the Commons […]
- The Brexit White Paper offers a compromise approach for negotiations, but seems to have little support in ParliamentThe government's Brexit White Paper presents a compromise plan that could move negotiations forward. However, the proposal has faced a very rough landing domestically. The post The Brexit White Paper offers a compromise approach for negotiations, but seems to have little support in Parliament appeared first on Open Europe.
- The Chequers Brexit plan has been a profound compromise for the GovernmentOpen Europe’s Director Henry Newman gave evidence to the House of Commons’ Exiting the European Union Committee on July 11. Below is a brief summary of the session.The post The Chequers Brexit plan has been a profound compromise for the Government appeared first on Open Europe.
- The UK’s Brexit proposal needs to be taken seriously on the continentAppearing on the BBC 2’s Daily Politics programme alongside Conservative MP Priti Patel and Labour MP Chuka Umunna, Open Europe’s Henry Newman discussed the Government’s Brexit proposal agreed at Chequers last week and the possible responses from the EU. The post The UK’s Brexit proposal needs to be taken seriously on the continent appeared first […]
- The significance of London’s financial cluster for the EU27Dominic Walsh reviews Open Europe's joint event with Reuters in Brussels, during which the panel discussed the importance of the City of London for the EU27. The post The significance of London’s financial cluster for the EU27 appeared first on Open Europe.
- Migration centre, Brexit side-lined, Eurozone back: What happened at the EU summit.The pressure on EU leaders to find solutions was high at this summit. Open Europe's Leopold Traugott assesses what has been achieved, and where progress has been delayed.The post Migration centre, Brexit side-lined, Eurozone back: What happened at the EU summit. appeared first on Open Europe.
- What does the EU position on justice and home affairs mean for European security?Following the European Commission's recent comments on justice and home affairs after Brexit, Open Europe's Anna Nadibaidze argues that the EU's own 'red lines' could result in a outcome that is detrimental to both the EU and the UK. The post What does the EU position on justice and home affairs mean for European security? […]
- Director Henry Newman discusses our new report on the future UK-EU economic partnershipOpen Europe's Director Henry Newman appeared on the BBC's Daily Politics programme to discuss Open Europe's new report, "Striking a Balance: A blueprint for the future UK-EU economic partnership", arguing that the UK should seek to remain closely aligned to the EU on goods regulations while retaining the ability to diverge on services. Newman appeared […]
- Striking a Balance: A blueprint for the future UK-EU economic partnershipOpen Europe's new report outlines a proposal for the future bilateral trading relationship where the UK remain highly integrated with the EU in goods, but obtains the flexibility to diverge in services. The post Striking a Balance: A blueprint for the future UK-EU economic partnership appeared first on Open Europe.
- Customs union is not the right answer to Brexit questionsOpen Europe's Henry Newman appeared on ITV's Peston on Sunday programme from May 27, discussing the progress of Brexit negotiations, the EU (Withdrawal) Bill, the option of a second referendum and the customs union debate. The post Customs union is not the right answer to Brexit questions appeared first on Open Europe.